Howdy!

Previous sermon notes and newsletter articles can be found on the right-hand menu, organized by category and by date published.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Looking Back & Looking Forward

“In that day man will have regard for his Maker and his eyes will look to the Holy One of Israel.” Isaiah 17:7 NASB95

The old gravel road in front of our house on Gunsmith Street had just been paved. The small university town of College Station, Texas was ever-expanding southward, as Texas A&M’s enrollment boomed. The new black top looked as beautiful as the super speedways at Daytona and Indianapolis. As my nine-year-old legs pumped the pedals of my bicycle, I was racing A.J. Foyt for the checkered flag on the final lap…

My boyhood day dream was interrupted by the sound of an approaching automobile from behind. I glanced over my left shoulder to see which of our neighbors was coming down the country road. As I looked backwards, my bicycle dodged to the right. The sudden jolt shooting through the handlebar was a clear message that my front tire had taken an unexpected exit from the pavement, and I wasn’t going down pit road either. My head whipped forward just in time to see my entire field of vision filled with the “0” of the “1508” number on our mailbox. The collision instantly peeled me from my banana seat, as my lips kissed the property of the U.S. Postal Service. I had been “clothes-lined,” and the back of my head was the first part of my body that found the ground. A painful lesson was learned. It is important to look back, but be sure to pay attention to what lies ahead as well.

I greatly enjoyed the 50th anniversary celebration weekend at our beloved Brown Deer Baptist Church, and I thank all of you who worked so hard to make it such a great success. I was blessed by learning more of the rich heritage of our church, and by gaining a perspective on decisions made five decades ago which impact us today. It is of great value to remember the roads we have traveled. Now, let’s also begin to look farther down the road at new roads yet to be explored. The best way to look forward is to keep our eyes on the Lord (Isaiah 17:7). The direction of our journey will affect the church’s future for many years to come. We want those who celebrate our church’s 100th anniversary to look back with the same fondness on the decisions and paths we take in the present day.

I am continuing to pray and seek God’s vision for our church’s future. Some of that vision is coming into focus. I will be meeting with church leaders in the next few weeks to share this vision as we begin our journey together on newly-paved paths.

Love,
Pastor Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment