Howdy!

Previous sermon notes and newsletter articles can be found on the right-hand menu, organized by category and by date published.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Encourage One Another

Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:11  NASB95

  You can tell by one quick look at me that I’m a man who enjoys eating. My recent annual physical brought me some unpleasant news—for the first time in my life, my cholesterol levels are not healthy. It isn’t that my cholesterol level is extremely high, but the good to bad cholesterol ratio is upside down. As the doctor told me this I was anticipating her next statement. …she is about to tell me to alter my diet and exercise. Can you say, “Broiled mocking birds and grazing in the yard?” Well, at least I won’t have to mow as often this summer... However, before the doctor began the usual lecture, she said, "Your blood work also showed that you are becoming pre-diabetic.

  At this point, my ears perked up and I was really listening to what the doctor was saying. She said if I would eat a healthy diet, exercise, and lose about 40-50 pounds; those negative health trends would reverse. So, three weeks ago I began to eat healthier foods, smaller portions, and walk about two and a half miles each day. So far, I’ve lost 21 pounds. (I’m sure most of the weight loss came from between my ears!)

  The past week has been a struggle to keep on the diet. Empower was great, but the change of routine and schedule made staying on course much more difficult. I found this reasoning creeping into my mind, “Larry, you’ve made good progress. Lose another twenty pounds and you can get off this diet kick.” I was literally at a fork in the road. If I pick up the fork again after losing another twenty pounds, it won’t be long before my weight bounces back up like a yo-yo when it finds the end of the string.  Yesterday (March 22), I received my reminder of why I need a lifestyle change and not just a diet.

  My father called with news that my brother, Lynn, had a heart attack. He is three years older than I am. Our family does not have a history of heart disease. Yet, without warning, he almost died. As I write this, he is in the coronary care unit of a hospital. He has three arterial blockages, which are being corrected with stents. The doctors were amazed that he is still alive—the main blockage was the “widow maker” artery which almost always leads to sudden death when blocked. God chose to be merciful by giving him a new lease on life. I thank you for praying for him.

  As your pastor, it is important that I encourage you to be all God intends for you to be. I confess to you that I need your encouragement as I engage in this spiritual battle with my flesh. Spiritual battle? Yes, one of the fruits of the Spirit listed in Galatians 5 is self-control. Our fallen nature hasn’t got the stomach for self-control, so God has to give us temperance through the Holy Spirit.  Self-control (temperance) is not just about alcohol. It includes all the appetites of the body—even our eating. The Apostle Paul wrote, “Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing.”  We must encourage each other in our spiritual battles to crucify our flesh (Galatians 2:20) and live in Christ’s resurrection life!

Love,
Pastor Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment