Howdy!

Previous sermon notes and newsletter articles can be found on the right-hand menu, organized by category and by date published.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Quarantine Devotional - Day 3


Passage to Ponder: Matthew 6:25-34

“…I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? … Why do you have so little faith? So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” –Matthew 6:25-27, 30-33 (NLT)

   As I have been in contact with people from many walks of life in the past few days, some who are members of our church and others with no connection to our church, there is a common thread in each conversation, email, and text message: fear. Now not everyone admits to their fears. Some say things like: “I am concerned”; “I am worried”; “I am unsettled”; “I am distressed”; or, “I hope _____ is going to be safe.” The Bible doesn’t give us an answer for those things. But if we will stop sugar-coating what we are really feeling and own it, the Bible gives us direction on how to deal with it. What is “it”? IT IS FEAR! God has much to say about fear and being afraid!

  I could try to tell you that I am the superhero known as “Super Christian” and that I don’t have any fear. But, you and I both know that would be a lie. Here’s how I notice that I am dealing with fear: “I am feeling tension, pressure. I am bearing the burden of trying to keep my family safe and sane. At the same time, I have a call to shepherd the flock. I want to make sure that all aspects of Brown Deer Baptist Church and the Lakeland Baptist Association are taken care of. Are the members safe? Do they have physical needs? Are their jobs safe? How are the students doing? Will the church be able to pay its bills?”


  Do you see my problem? (Maybe you are suffering from the same ailment.) All the focus is on me and what I am doing to take care of these things. Yes, I have things I must do to fulfill my role as husband, father, and shepherd. Yet, God asks me to just be faithful to Him and He will take care of the rest. I don’t have to worry…rather, I don’t need fear… because Christ has promised that God will supply everything I need! Commit Matthew 6:33 to memory if you have not already done so!  


  Did you know that we are told to “fear not” or “don’t be afraid” in the Bible 365 times! I don’t think that is a coincidence. You can read a new passage every day of the year where God tells us to trust Him, cast our fears upon Him, and be at peace.

Love,
Pastor Larry



(This is from a series of devotionals written during our time of restricted meetings and activities due to the coronavirus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment