Howdy!

Previous sermon notes and newsletter articles can be found on the right-hand menu, organized by category and by date published.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Quarantine Devotional – Day 17

Passage to Ponder: Joshua 1:1-9

“Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them.” -Joshua 1:6 (NLT)

Be strong and courageous! Such powerful words the Lord gave to Joshua as he prepared to lead Israel across the Jordan to possess the Promised Land after the death of Moses and the end of the 40 years of walking in the desert. A close reading of the first chapter of the Book of Joshua reveals that God said these words to him three times (verses 6, 7, and 9). After Joshua shares with Israel’s tribes God’s plan to defeat their enemies, the officers and leaders of the army and the 12 tribes of Israel encourage Joshua in verse 18 to “be strong and courageous!” So, four times Joshua is told to be “strong and courageous” (three times by God and once by the people he is leading).

  If God brought those words to Joshua four times in one chapter of the Bible, isn’t it logical to assume that Joshua must have needed those words? When Joshua led the people across the river, he was not just leading them into a new land, he would be leading them into the fight for their very lives and existence as a people. God had promised in verses 3-5 that He would be with Joshua as He had been with Moses. That everywhere Joshua stepped in faith that God would win the victory, the battle would be won, and Israel would possess the land. But if the outcome was assured by the Lord, why did Joshua still need to be told four times “be strong and courageous”?

  I believe with all my heart it is because God knew Joshua was about to lead the people through a great and fearful time. War is messy—people die, grief is real, all are affected. It doesn’t matter if you’re a soldier, commander, citizen at home: all suffer and sacrifice in times of war. Uncertain days can be long and dread-filled nights even longer. Not only did Joshua need to “be strong and courageous,” Israel needed Joshua to “be strong and courageous.”

  What I am about to write is not meant to scare or depress you. The words I am about to write are to prepare you. They are also meant to encourage you to “be strong and courageous.” In the next few weeks, sooner or later, you are going to know people who get sick in this pandemic. Some of us (I am included in this) are going to get sick, too. We are going to know people who die—friend, coworker, neighbor, church member, even family member. I pray desperately that I am wrong! I want to be wrong! I want you to be able to come to me after this is over and remind me how wrong I was! I am not Joshua. You aren’t Joshua. But you and I both are called to “be strong and courageous” for the people who need us. Remember, while the times ahead may be difficult and painful, the outcome is sure. God’s people will possess the promised land in victory!

Love,
Pastor Larry


PS-I wish this were an April Fool’s joke! Yet, I can promise you the sound of laughter and joy will be heard in the land again!


(This is from a series of devotionals written during our time of restricted meetings and activities due to the coronavirus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment