Howdy!

Previous sermon notes and newsletter articles can be found on the right-hand menu, organized by category and by date published.

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Quarantine Devotional – Day 24

Passage to Ponder: 2 Timothy 1:1-12

“That is why I am suffering here in prison. But I am not ashamed of it, for I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return.” -2 Timothy 1:12 (NLT)

  I spoke with my father in Texas on the phone last night. He called to see how his wayward son who moved his daughter-in-law and grandchildren away to Wisconsin were doing. As we spoke, he said my mother was watching the news. We had a little chuckle as we both agreed that taking a break from the news right now is good for our mental health. The constant news cycle causes us to focus on the circumstances and become overwhelmed with fear, doubt, and despair. Spend too much time with that kind of “stinking thinking” and you begin to believe the lying whisper from the enemy that God is deaf or uncaring. This leads to feeling vulnerable and alone.

  How do you get through distress when God seems to be silent? You do it just like the Apostle Paul did while he was in prison. He used trust as his weapon of choice. “…for I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return.” A good definition of trust is “assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, and truth of God.” With the onset of trials, you can anchor yourself in the truth of who God is for you. God aches for you to know Him and truly trust Him as Abba, your Daddy in Heaven. When your troubles cause a war of doubt to rage in your mind, you can draw on the deep well of who God is for you (Abba, Heavenly Daddy) and His promises to you.

  Now here is a truth you need to file in your heart: trust is based upon who and what you know, not what you feel. Look at what Paul wrote in verse 12 again, “…I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him…”  Trust thrives when you know the One in whom you trust loves you. Trust leads you to believe the best about God and His plan for you--love always trusts (1 Cor 13:7). To trust is to live in expectation of seeing God come through, even when circumstances are hard. Trust is to anticipate the goodness of God. Trust seeks the evidences that your Father is at work even when you can’t see what He is doing.

  After I got off the phone with my father, I received a text message from my mother-in-law in Texas asking if I had seen the pink hue of tonight’s full moon. I stepped outside and looked up at the sky. Clouds. No moon to be seen. I didn’t panic thinking someone has stolen the moon! (The movie “Despicable Me” wasn’t a documentary!) I have a lot of experience looking up and seeing the moon. I know the moon well even though I have never touched it. So, from experience, I know the moon is still there shining bright when it can’t be seen. No need to worry that it has abandoned its orbit…it is still there behind the clouds.

  As well as I know the moon, I know God even better! I haven’t ever touched the moon, but God has touched me. His Spirit is within me. I have heard His voice in the past. I have experienced His goodness and grace. He is working when I can see Him and when troublesome clouds block my view. 

  Whether it is dealing with this pandemic or other personal issues, you may be facing hardships where answers seem scarce and the end is not in sight. God is inviting you to lean into Him and trust His “moon” is still there.

Love,
Pastor Larry



(This is from a series of devotionals written during our time of restricted meetings and activities due to the coronavirus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment